March 13, 2004

Saturday Afternoon. Lowe Goes 5, Daubach Slams Home 4.
Boston   400 100 020 - 7  8  0

Toronto 000 100 000 - 1 8 0
The Red Sox hit four home runs, including Brian Daubach's first-inning grand slam. Three solo shots -- David McCarty in the 4th and Andy Dominique and Terry Shumpert in the 8th -- capped the scoring. Derek Lowe (in his 3rd start of the spring) worked five innings, allowing five hits and one run.

An MRI revealed inflammation in a muscle in Byung-Hyun Kim's right shoulder. He will rest for the next week before being reevaluated. While it's possibile that Kim could miss the start of the season, Terry Francona said the team had "about six different plans to cover everything." Bronson Arroyo will take over the #5 spot in the rotation.

Keith Foulke threw a perfect inning of relief yesterday: 12 pitches, 9 strikes. Varitek and Francona were quite happy, although Foulke (a bit of a perfectionist, apparently) said he felt "a little sloppy." Foulke also commented on his lack of emotion on the field: "Most [closers] like to be fired up, juiced up. I have to be calm. That's the way I play. You won't get a lot of fist pumps out of me."

Trot Nixon is feeling much better; he began aerobic activity yesterday. Nomar Garciaparra, still hampered by a bruised right heel, will not play at all this weekend, but will take BP and infield practice. ... Pedro Martinez told John Tomase that he finds his first name boring. "My brother always called me Enyo. I've never really liked Pedro. I like my middle name much better. I'd like to be Jaime."

No comments: